Saturday, September 29, 2007

How We Came to Homeschooling

Well, how we came about homeschooling is like this. A long, long, time ago in a galaxy far, far away. LOL ok I know cheesy sorry. My boy's are really into Star Wars so it's rubbed off me I guess LOL.
Anyway when my oldest son (we'll call him C.) was just a baby we lived in a town that I didn't care for the school so much. I remember commenting to my husband (we'll call him H.) that if we lived there when he was older I was going to homeschool him. See I went to that school when I was in high school and I hated every minute there. Anyway, years pass by and we have another son (We'll call him J.) and we did move to a better town. Actually we moved to the town he grew up in. The summer before C. would have started Kindergarten hubby came to me and he said. "Remember when you said something about homeschooling them?" I paused for a moment and said, "Yes, do you still want to do that?" He of course said yes and that summer I spent a lot of time at the library and getting every book I could on homeschooling. I also scoured the Internet for sites on homeschooling. Like the laws in Michigan, how to get started and the like. I also began praying about it. I prayed that God would give me a sign that this is what we were supposed to do. I found that the laws in Michigan for homeschooling were very laid back. No test taking,(which I believe that test don't really prove what your child knows or not) and no having to report to anyone. As I prayed and read more about it I felt for sure that this was the right thing to do.
I won't lie and say it was easy from the get go. In fact I had worked myself up so much about doing it and trying to get him to learn that I gave myself high blood pressure LOL. The first year as most anyone will tell you is the hardest. That first year was more of a learning experience not only for C. but for me too. I learned how he learns and he learned more and more each day and we learned together that we could do this together and be closer than ever too.
We are now into our third year of homeschooling and this year my youngest is now learning along with us. You would think it would be harder to teach the both of them together but it's not really. At least not so far LOL. Give me a couple more years and I will let you know LOL. I think J. watched C. as he was just starting out and wanted to do what his big brother was doing too. J. just started doing Kindergarten work this year and he is already starting to sound out small words. I thought he would be harder to teach because he is a very active little guy LOL. To get him to sit still can sometimes be a struggle but we find ways to keep him occupied and keep him working. I am still learning everyday with each on how they learn. Things I am sure will change over the years but one thing that won't is that we all will learn as we go. Learning never really stops. I enjoy learning more now than I ever did as a child. I hope to help my children love learning through out their whole lives and not to take even the smallest learning experiences for granted. Even watching an ant carrying it's food to it's hill is a learning experience.
That has been our homeschool journey and it will continue to grow each year. What I don't know we will learn together and even with what I do know there is always room to learn more. Homeschooling isn't just about teaching your children but it's also about continuing your (my) education. It's also about love and family. Each homeschool family is different and each child is different. The only way really to do homeschooling wrong is not learning anything at all.

No comments: